LSVT BIG Program
LSVT BIG is an intensive, amplitude-focused physical and occupational therapy approach developed from principles of the effective Parkinson’s specific speech treatment LSVT LOUD®.
- The LSVT Programs have been developed and scientifically researched over the past 25 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health.
- Research on LSVT BIG has documented improved ratings on tests of motor functioning in people with Parkinson disease following treatment including: – Faster walking with bigger steps – Improved balance – Increased trunk rotation – Improvements in activities of daily living such as bed mobility – Improved UPDRS Motor Score LSVT BIG is a standardized treatment protocol, which is customized to the unique goals of each patient including both gross and fine motor skills. LSVT BIG can be adapted or progressed in order to meet each patient’s needs across a range of disease severity and presenting impairments.
- LSVT BIG treatment consists of: 1) 16 sessions: 4 consecutive days a week for 4weeks 2) Individual 1 hour sessions 3) Daily homework practice 4) Daily carryover exercises
- It is essential that LSVT BIG treatment is only delivered by physical or occupational therapists who are certified in this method.
- Over 29,000 therapists from 55 countries have been certified in LSVT BIG.
Select References: 1. Ebersbach, G., Ebersbach, A., Edler, D., Kaufhold, O., Kusch, M., Kupsch, A., & Wissel, J. (2010). Comparing exercise in Parkinson’s disease–the Berlin LSVT®BIG study. Movement Disorders, 25, 2478. 2. Fox, C., Ebersbach, G., Ramig, L., & Sapir, S. (2012). LSVT LOUD and LSVT BIG: Behavioral treatment programs for speech and body movement in Parkinson disease. Parkinson’s Disease, 2012, Article ID 391946, 12pgs. 3. Isaacson, S., O’Brien, A., Lazaro, J.D., Ray, A., Fluet, F. (2018). The JFK BIG study: the impact of LSVT BIG® on dual task walking and mobility in persons with Parkinson’s disease. The Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 30: 636–641.
Research has been funded, in part, by the: National Institutes of Health-National Institutes on-Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NID-NIDCD) R01 DC001150 and National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) R21 NS043711.
LSVT Global, Inc. Phone: 1-888-438-5788 Email: info@LSVTGlobal.com Website: www.LSVTGlobal.com